Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Favorite Director

I'm finding it hard to narrow it down to one director. I'm not that hard of a critic when it comes to film either. I enjoy many different genres of film and find it hard to pick just one director that I like. I will say that Vince Gilligan is one of my favorite writers and producers, but I couldn't find much about him on directing films... so I can't pick him. I'm sure he did a lot of directing on his shows, but for the sake of the exercise I'll move on to someone else.

The lucky director who wins my vote for "favorite director" is... Jared Hess. I know it's kind of a weird choice, but his movies are just soooooo dumb that they're funny. I knew other people were going to pick Speilberg, Scott, Lucas, Burton, etc. so I thought I would pick someone different. Napoleon Dynomite is one of the biggest movie surprises of all time. Nobody expected it to be so funny and widely successful, but what I think made it successful was that everybody could think of people in their lives who were like the characters in the movie. The one that I enjoyed th most was Uncle Rico. We all know of people who reminisce the glory days, and hype them up to be something way larger than they actually were. Nacho Libre was great before serving a mission in South America, but was even funnier once I could laugh at all the subtle jokes there were in that movie. He hasn't done much outside of those as far as I know of (except for something called Gentleman Broncos), but it could be safe to say that he quit while he was ahead. And for me, makes me like him even more. Not trying to milk his movies for all their worth, and losing some real fans in the process.


No comments:

Post a Comment